Ryanair baggage fees have just gone up again! We’ve listed the costs of taking your luggage on a Ryanair flight – unfortunately there is no avoiding the baggage fee, but there are 2 things you can do which can save you money:
1. Try not taking any checked luggage. The maximum weight of your cabin baggage is 10 kg and the size of your bag cannot exceed 55cm x 40cm x 20 cm. If you can fit all your luggage in your hand luggage, you can save the baggage fee of taking a checked suitcase. Definitely buy a large and lightweight bag to fit the most possible in, like this one currently 50% off at £24.95 from Amazon.
2. Make sure you weigh your bag before you head to the airport. If your hand luggage is over 10kg they will force you to check it in and charge you up to £100 for the privilege! We recommend you buy a small pair of digital scales, like the ones on the right of this page, and under £10 too!
Ryanair Baggage Fee Rules
- The fee per 15kg bag is between £15 and £25 per flight depending on route and time of year
- As the baggage fee is per flight, a return flight is double the price (£30 to £50)
- The fee per 20kg bag is between £25 and £35 per flight depending on route and time of year
- A second bag of maximum 15kg can be taken, for a fee of course, of between £35 and £45 per flight
- If your bag weighs more than your agreed allowance, Ryanair will charge you £20 for every excess kg. We recommend buying some scales before you travel to ensure you are within your baggage allowance
- Sports or musical equipment can be prebooked (up to 20 kg per piece) at a cost of £40 per flight segment.
Baggage Fee Tips
1. Book a second seat
If you need to take a large music instrument, wedding dress or an awkward piece of baggage on your Ryanair flight, you can purchase a second seat to take it with you which can help to lower the baggage fee.
When you are booking at Ryanair.com, select 2 seats. The first should of course be booked in your nam, and the 2nd as “EXTRA” as the first name, ”ITEM SEAT” as the last name. The boarding pass will show the name “EXTRA ITEM SEAT”.
If the flight you are booking is cheap this may work out better value and lower the fee, though you do not get any baggage allowance in the hold with your 2nd seat. The cabin crew can hopefully help you to find an adjacent seat so you can sit next to your item.
2. Wear heavy clothing
A heavy pair of shoes, big coat or large jumper can use up a lot of your baggage allowance. We recommend wearing these items when you board as they do not weigh you at the Ryanair check in! This will reduce your luggage weight, and can help you stay within the luggage weight allowance of 15kg or 20kg (depending on what you paid for).
3. Weigh your hand luggage
The maximum weight of your cabin baggage is 10 kg and the size of your bag cannot exceed 55cm x 40cm x 20 cm. If you can fit all your luggage in your hand luggage, you can save the baggage fee of taking a checked suitcase. Do remember to check about the rules for prohibited items and carrying liquids on to the aircraft.
If your current bag is too big to take on as hand luggage, we recommend buying a bag suitable for Ryanair flights.